You’ve decided to try the Keto Diet? Congratulations! Keto is an awesome way to lose weight and revamp your overall physical and mental health. Some people think it’s tough to make the switch but really, it’s just about replacing old habits with new ones. The best time to do this is before you start your keto diet! Once you begin, you may not be feeling super great in those first few days. So, it’s best to have it all planned out beforehand! Need a good basic start? Read our article HERE -all about how to shop with a keto diet grocery list to get you started.
Okay, so now that you know what types of food you need to put on your grocery list, now you need to make it more specific. So, if you’re a Trader Joe’s kind of person, this is the article for you! And actually, even if you haven’t been a loyal TJ’s shopper up till now, the reality is that your local grocery store may seem too overwhelming for your new keto diet. You need to make sure that you will be choosing the right products and that they fit into the guidelines of keto macros. This may not be possible at your local store. Not to mention you may be tempted to buy all the non-keto foods that you used to.
Trader Joe’s is as most people know, a very popular American specialty grocery chain. One of its signatures, is the variety of fresh produce and healthy foods that it stocks. There are a lot of unique brands and items on the shelves of Trader Joe’s that you won’t find anywhere else. It’s also a store that specializes in dietary restriction options, therefore it is a great fit for people shopping on keto, paleo or whole foods diets. So, with this in mind, head over to your local Trader Joe’s! Armed with our suggestions, you will be in the right place to find all the right foods for your keto diet.
Below, you will find the ultimate Trader’s Joe’s Keto List. This is a list of foods that are easily found at your local TJ’s and that will comply to your brand new keto diet. Some are Trader Joe’s brand specific items while others are simply keto-friendly foods.
Let’s get started! Before we begin listing foods, let’s make sure you know all the tips and tricks for a successful shopping trip to Trader Joe’s.
Research and Read the Labels
When you are starting a life-changing diet like keto, you have to get into the habit of researching the products and reading the nutritional labels. Everyone has slightly different goals and you will want to make sure that each product fits into your macros. This will help you while you are grocery shopping and it will become a habit no matter where you are.
Trader Joe’s Tips and Tricks
- Use their Fearless Flyer to help you score all the latest deals and specials!
- Shop in off-peak hours! TJ’s can get super packed on weekends. Long lineups and finding out that your favorite items are not in stock can be super frustrating.
- TJ’s has a great “try before you buy” policy in their ready-to-eat section. Always a great way to try new things! Just ask a store representative and they will be happy to assist you.
- Return policy! TJ’s has a great one. With proof of purchase and you’ll get a full refund.
- The frozen foods section is quite extensive and well-priced. This is a great way to stock up on frozen produce.
- Stock up when you see it! Many items are very popular and often end up out of stock. So when you see your favorites, don’t buy just one! Stock up!
Awesome Keto Finds at Your Local Trader Joe’s
Avocados and Guacamole
Avocado is a great keto snack. Shock full of healthy fats, fiber and potassium too. You can eat the avocado but sometimes guacamole is a nice option as well. Obviously with some ripe avocados, you can make your own. However, TJ’s makes some incredible guacamoles that have no added sugars.
Nuts and Seeds
TJ’s has a ton of nuts and seeds for sale under their own brand name. Quite often they are much cheaper than you can find elsewhere, specifically the nuts that are typically more expensive like macadamia etc…They also have options such as almond flour, chia seeds and other keto-friendly items.
Nut and Seed Butters
Trader Joe’s is all about being healthy, so their selection of nut and seed butters are all without added sugar.
Chomps come in beef and turkey and are a great low carb and high fat snack option. Made form grass-fed animal protein, these are not the highly processed meat sticks that you would find at your corner store. They also have Epic Bars -these are all-natural game meat snacks that are delicious and keto approved!
Whether you’re looking for organic oven roasted turkey or grass-fed beef Trader Joe’s is the best place to shop. They stock items that are free-range, no added hormones, no nitrates or anti-biotics. You can safely buy their deli meats, burgers and ground meat without worrying about what is in them and for cheaper than anywhere else.
Ghee and Clarified Butter
While you can make your own ghee at home, it takes time and honestly Trader Joe’s makes a great one. Ghee or clarified butter is used in the keto diet because it has less lactose than traditional versions. You can use it to sauté veggies, cook eggs or in baking.
Trader Joe’s has a huge collection of raw cheeses that fit perfectly into the keto diet.
TJ’s has at least three or four amazing salsa brands. Pepita Salsa, Salsa Verde, Autentica and Chunky are all great choices.
Green Goddess Salad Dressing
This may just be the best salad dressing around! Not only is this dressing pure keto, but it is perfect over salads and meats alike.
Frozen Fruits and Veggies
As we mentioned above in the Tips and Tricks section; these are actually great options at Trader Joe’s.
Frozen Foods and other Foods of Convenience
Fish Burgers such as Salmon, Tuna and Mahi Mahi -all clean ingredients, fatty fish perfect for the keto diet and delicious
Turkey and Chicken Burgers -high in protein and low in carbs, not to mention delicious!
Super Snacks and Ingredients: these can be used as is or in a keto recipe.
- Kale Chips
- Crispy Okra
- Roasted Coconut Chips
- Organic Coconut Flakes
So now it’s time to break it down by food group. Below you will find an easy to follow list of keto approved items to load up on at Trader Joe’s.
- Bell Peppers
Meats and Seafood
- Wild Fatty Fish
Some awesome branded Trader Joe’s meat items include:
- Uncured Pork and Beef Hot Link Sausages
- Pollo Asado Autentico
- Pesto Genovese Chicken Breast
- Carne Asada Autentica
- Traditional Carnitas
- Fully Cooked Uncured Bacon
- Fully Cooked Pork Belly
- Braised Beef Roast with Demi-Glace
- Grass-Fed Beef Sirloin roast
- Cage-Free Fresh Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs
- Pastured butter
- Raw Cheese
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
Some awesome branded Trader Joe’s dairy items include:
- Roasted Garlic & Herb Butter Spread
- Coconut Non-Dairy Creamer
- Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter
- Small Curd Cottage Cheese
- Organic Sour Cream
- Mini Babybel Cheese Original
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- Volpi Roltini made with Mozzarella and Prosciutto Ham
- Truffle Mousse Pate made with Chicken
- Harvest Salad with Grilled Chicken
- Egg Salad
- Cobb Salad
- Italian Style Turkey Meatloaf Topped with Tomato Sauce
Pantry and Canned Goods
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Olives and Olive Oil
- Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Packets
- Wild-caught Skinless & Boneless Sardines in Olive Oil
- Organic Beef Bone Broth
- Organic Stevia -both liquid and extract
- Raw Almond Creamy Butter
- Montezuma’s 100% Cocoa Solids Dark Chocolate Absolute Black with Cocoa Nibs
- Tartar Sauce with Dill and Jalapeno
- Queso Cheese Dip
- Palak Paneer
- Riced Cauliflower Stirfry
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Organic Riced Cauliflower
- Zucchini Spirals
- Carrot Spirals
- Fire Roasted Vegetables with Balsamic Butter Sauce
- Misto Alla Griglia (Marinated Grilled Eggplant, Zucchini and Red Peppers)
- Crab Cakes
- Wild-caught Crab Meat with Nothing Added
- Salmon, Tuna and Mahi Mahi Burgers
- Turkey Meatballs fully cooked
- Chile Lime Chicken Burgers
- Uncooked Ground Buffalo Burgers
- Grass-fed Angus Beef Burgers
- Creamy Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Nuts and Seeds
Raw or dry Roasted Nuts such as:
- Brazil Nuts
Seeds such as:
- Flax Sesame
With a list like this, shopping for your new keto diet at Trader Joe’s will be easy and fun! Just remember to make your personal list before you go, using this helpful guide. Your list should include everything you need to hit your macros all while fully enjoying your meals and snacks. Take the time to find some great keto-approved recipes so that you ensure you have everything you need before you begin cooking and baking.
When it comes to shopping for your keto diet, Trader Joe’s is a perfect place to go! They have everything you need and plenty that you haven’t even thought about yet. You’ll find it easy to check off the items on your list and discover new and exciting ways to enjoy your keto diet.
Like any nutritional eating plan, you want to enjoy yourself while you are losing weight and becoming healthier. If you don’t plan in advance, you risk making mistakes and having a difficult time starting or sticking to your new plan. Don’t make that mistake! Use this guide to help you through your journey to keto at Trader Joe’s!