You must have heard that movie stars and celebrities often use a keto diet plan to stay fit and healthy, but do you know what keto is?
People usually follow celebrities without considering their health goals. If you plan to go on a keto diet, you should know what it’s all about and how it is going to help you.
What is Keto Diet?
A keto diet or ketogenic diet is a diet in which a person consumes an adequate amount of protein, high-fat, and low-carbohydrate. It has been proven in various studies that a keto diet plan can help you lose weight and significantly improve your health. It can help you avoid diseases like cancer, diabetes, epilepsy, and Alzheimer’s.
This diet has many similarities with the Atkins and low-carb diet. In the keto, diet carbohydrates are replaced with fat. The replacement of sugars with fat puts your body in a metabolic state, which is termed as ketosis.
During ketosis, the body becomes more efficient in burning fat to gain energy. The fat is converted into ketones in the liver, and they supply energy to the brain. A keto diet can lead to a massive reduction in insulin levels and blood sugar. As a result, the ketones are increased and provide numerous benefits.
Types of Keto Diet:
Here are the types of the keto diet:
- Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD): It contains low-carbs, moderate-protein, and high-fat, i.e., 75% fat, 20% protein, and only 5% of carbs.
- Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD): In this plan, your diet would contain a period of higher-carb. It means you will have to take five ketogenic days and two high-carb days.
- Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD): This type of diet allows you to add carbs around your workout schedule.
- High-Protein Ketogenic Diet: As the name suggests, this diet plan includes high-protein whereas keeping the ratio as 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% of carbs, which is similar to the standard keto diet plan.
Among these four types, you will be amazed that only high-protein and standard keto diet have been studied intensely. The cyclical and targeted plans are advanced, and athletes and bodybuilders primarily use them.
Health Benefits of Keto:
Doctors often recommend a low-fat diet, but the ketogenic diet is far superior. A huge plus is that you will be able to see the health benefits without counting the calories. So, here are some proven benefits of the keto diet:
- Lose Weight: Keto diet can help you lose weight 2.2 times faster than a calorie-restricted low-fat diet. The increased ketones, improved insulin, and lower blood sugar levels play a key role in it.
- Prevention from Diabetes and Prediabetes: Diabetes is characterized by changes in insulin function, high blood sugar level, and metabolism. As keto helps you lose weight, it will have a positive impact on people who have type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
- Neurological Diseases: This is the main reason the ketogenic diet was invented. This diet significantly helps in curing neurological diseases like epilepsy and seizures.
- Heart Diseases: It helps reduce the risk factors like body fat, HDL cholesterol level, blood sugar, and blood pressure, thereby decreasing the risk of heart disease.
- Cancer: The diet has proven to help slow down the growth of several types of cancer cells.
- Alzheimer’s disease: It reduces the symptoms of Alzheimer's and slows its growth.
The keto diet plan can help improve the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, polycystic ovary syndrome, brain injuries, and acne too. There are several other benefits that are under-research.
What are the foods that should be avoided on a keto diet?
When you are going on a keto diet, your carb intake should be limited. So, here is the list of foods that you should avoid:
- Sugary foods like soda, smoothies, fruit juice, cake, ice-cream, candy, etc.
- Grains and Starches such as wheat-based products, pasta, cereal, rice, etc.
- Fruits except for berries like strawberries.
- Beans or legumes such as lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans, peas, etc.
- Root vegetables and tubers like potato, carrots, parsnips, etc.
- Low-fat or diet products are highly processed and high in carbs too.
- Some condiments or sauces which contain sugar and unhealthy fats.
- Unhealthy fats like processed vegetable oils and mayonnaise, etc.
- Alcohol should be avoided included alcoholic beverages too. Sugar-free diet foods also have a negative impact on your ketone levels as they are highly processed.
Now you know the foods which must be avoided or consumed in moderation in a keto diet.
What are the foods that should consume on a keto diet?
- Meat, i.e., red meat, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken, turkey, and steak.
- Fatty fish, i.e., salmon, tuna, mackerel, and trout.
- Pastured eggs or omega-3 whole eggs.
- Butter and cream
- Unprocessed cheese, i.e., cheddar, cream, mozzarella, goat, or blue.
- Nuts and seeds which includes walnuts, flax seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, etc.
- Healthy oils including extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil.
- Whole avocados or fresh guacamole
- Low-carb veggies such as tomatoes, peppers, onions, and other green veggies.
- Condiments like salt, herbs, spices, and pepper of course.
You can find hundreds of foods that you can eat on a keto diet. It will be best if you base your diet on whole and single-ingredient foods.
Your Weekly Keto Diet Plan:
To get started with your ketosis plan, you can follow the basic diet plan. Here is a sample plan of what your keto diet must look like. If you follow the diet plan correctly, you’ll be able to experience the positive results within a month.
Breakfast: Tomatoes, eggs, and bacon.
Lunch: Chicken salad seasoned with olive oil and feta cheese.
Dinner: Salmon fish with Asparagus cooked in butter
Breakfast: Goat cheese omelet, egg, tomato, and basil.
Lunch: Almond milk, cocoa powder, stevia milkshake, and peanut butter
Dinner: Meatballs and cheddar cheese with vegetables.
Breakfast: A ketogenic shake would work fine.
Lunch: Shrimp salad with avocado and olive oil.
Dinner: Pork chops with parmesan cheese, broccoli, and salad.
Breakfast: Omelette with salsa, peppers, spices, onion, and avocado.
Lunch: Eat a handful of nuts with celery sticks tipped with guacamole and salsa.
Dinner: Chicken stuffed with cream cheese and pesto along with some vegetables.
Breakfast: Sugar-free yogurt with stevia, cocoa powder, and peanut butter.
Lunch: Beef cooked and stir-fried in coconut oil with some green veggies.
Dinner: Bunless burger with egg, bacon, and cheese.
Breakfast: Ham and cheese omelet with some vegetables.
Lunch: Ham and cheese slices with some nuts
Dinner: Cook white fish, egg, and spinach in coconut oil.
Breakfast: Fried eggs with mushrooms and bacon.
Lunch: Burger with cheese, guacamole, and salsa.
Dinner: Steak and eggs with salad toppings.
Following the keto diet doesn't mean you have to give up on taste. Adding spices can help make your food more palatable. Get creative with your keto diet so that you won’t have "cheat" days.
As you can see, the keto diet is a very effective way of improving and maintaining your health. You can rotate the veggies and meat as you like. After all, you are eating only healthy food. Once you get to see the benefits of keto, you'll recommend it to people around you.